[OS X TeX] R, paradigm to bring into the LaTeX world?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 23 18:02:45 CEST 2006

Le 23 oct. 06 à 17:18, Claus Gerhardt a écrit :

> As usual there are bad, good and excellent packages for a
> particular purpose, but we all know which one to pick

Do we? Generally I don't, which is why, for example, I am no longer
using LaTeX for preparing presentations: there are several packages
out there for doing so, and I don't want to have to hunt for them
then study and try each of them before actually choosing and picking
one. I have used for several years the slides package, given this was
*the* LaTeX way of making presentations; when it started to be a pain
to use, compared with state-of-the-art presentation software, I
switched to Keynote rather than trying beamer powerdot etc.

> and be it by asking this list.

Similar to Themis, I think of the situation when I am alone in a
house in the woods with nothing like the internet; which, at one
point, I'll probably end up doing, if I ever want to actually write
the book I'm supposed to write.

In other words: I hate to have to consider mailing lists and fora as
part of the documentation for any software; such facilities should be
a bonus for those willing or able to devote time to them, but nothing
mandatory. Nice software is it that comes with all the necessary
pieces and their assorted documentation, preferably in printed form,
so that the user can be completely self-sufficient and not require
the internet.

That's my opinion anyway, for what it's worth.

Bruno Voisin