[OS X TeX] Re: Alpha availability [was: A question from a new member]

jkock jkock at start.no
Sat Oct 21 00:31:59 CEST 2006

> >Just next to the Alpha icon (inside the Alpha Folder) there is an
> >alias called "Update AlphaTcl" which opens MacCVS Pro directed at the
> >SourceForge repository.  Unfortunately, SourceForge has changed the
> >server name (from cvs.sourceforge.net to alphatcl.cvs.sourceforge.net),
>
> But that's the one I can see in AlphaTcl.maccvs Settings/Remote Host.

Sorry for being so distrait: I filed a bug report on Alpha's Bugzilla
pleading for a 8.0.3 release at least to fix the outdated MacCVS file.  But
as pointed out also by Michael Hoppe, the 8.0.2 release does in fact have a
proper CVS file -- in fact I am informed that the main reason for the 8.0.2
release (compared to 8.0.1) was to fix that problem.  (I had somehow got
hold of an 8.0.1 instead of a 8.0.2...)

However, this does not solve the whole problem of updating to 8.1a7: it
turns out the files in the 8.0.2 distribution are tagged as belonging to a
special 8.0 branch of the CVS, so when you update you only get the latest
files from that branch.  It is necesssary to do "Reset stickies" to remove
the tags -- that's an option you can choose when doing "Update to...".
Then the update will give you the HEAD branch.  (I have often complained
on the Alpha mailing list why CVS has to be so complicated, but I am
assured that it is in fact a wonderful thing, and people use it even locally
for their tex files, to have a complete repository of all revisions.)

Cheers,
Joachim.

PS to Michael: tetexComm is now integrated in AlphaTcl, and the latest
version is in 8.1a7.