[OS X TeX] List nesting in TeX4ht [Was:] Is there a Latex package for creating html slidy presentations?

Robert Spence spence at saar.de
Sat Oct 14 16:08:02 CEST 2006

On 12 Oct 2006, at 12:01 , Eitan Gurari wrote:

>> A propos lists... is there a way of ending a sublist without also
>> ending the item it occurs in?
>
> I believe so.  I'm not sure I understand where such a restriction is
> useful.  -eitan

Sorry, I didn't formulate things properly, because I trusted my
memory rather than reexamining the LaTeX and HTML code closely.  It
was something I noticed a few months ago while trying to get TeX4ht
to typeset Leslie Lamport's "An Example LaTeX Document"
/usr/local/teTeX/share/doc/latex/base/sample2e.tex

There was an enumerated list right in the middle of one of the items
of an itemized list.  The LaTeX source code (minimalized) was:
\begin{itemize}
  \item
    first portion of text
      \begin{enumerate}
       \item
         problematic interruption
      \end{enumerate}
    second portion of text
\end{itemize}

The generated HTML code (minimalized/simplified) was:
<ul>
  <li class="itemize">
    first portion of text
      <ol>
        <li class="enumerate">
          problematic interruption
        </li>
      </ol>
   second portion of text
  </li>
</ul>

So what I was in fact observing was a mere artefact related to the
default CSS settings: there was some extra vertical space above and
below the "second portion of text", which was NOT due to a too-early
outer </li> but was simply part of the specification of how to
display an unindented paragraph.  I've now added a line to my
personal .cfg file of the form:

\Css{ li p.noindent: margin-top: 0em; margin-bottom: 0em; }

and made a note to learn CSS properly as soon as possible.

My apologies for the wasted bandwidth!

-- Robert Spence