[OS X TeX] updating everythin

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sat Oct 14 15:15:54 CEST 2006

On 14.10.2006, at 15:07, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 14.10.2006 um 14:34 schrieb Doris Wagner:
>
>> I just wand to update EVERYTHING
>
> I-Installer offers in the i-Package menu the item "Open Updated
> Packages…" or ⌘U. Afterwards you can decide to update even more.
> Just bear in mind that you put your updates into the texmf.local
> tree – the others are under the control of i-Installer, every
> change there will be lost when you update with i-Installer. And
> then don't forget that later some i-Package can contain updates of
> the updates you installed ... and since the TeX search path is your
> private tree first, then the texmf.local tree, then the other
> trees, your future antiquated software will continue to be used.
>
> Private updates should be restricted to some really important and
> faulty packages.

Which brings up a question: How do you people handle this?
Personally, I see my local tree in ~/Library/texmf growing
constantly. Since I tend to be an early adopter I often download
packages as soon as they're available on CTAN and put them in my
local tree. Is there an elegant way to make sure to stay up to date
without having your local tree grow all the time?

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"Was soll aus mir mal werden, wenn ich mal nicht mehr bin?" Robert
Gernhardt