LaTeX, MS Word, asking questions, LyX (was Re: [OS X TeX] 1/2" margins)

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Fri Oct 13 14:13:55 CEST 2006

On 13.10.2006, at 14:10, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> I have to defend latex (tex). The basics of  latex are not hard to
> learn: after two weeks of reading George Grätzer's "Math into
> Latex" and some typing, one should be able to write (=type) a
> paper. That stage I would describe as using latex light.
>
> After a month one should be able to  set the margins to 1/2in by
> looking in the Latex Companion, look up margin in the index.
>
> Over time one will mature, and someone like me is going to use
> latex standard, which offers brilliant typesetting with ease. If in
> the future I should want to accomplish something that my current
> knowledge of latex doesn't allow me to do, I am pretty sure that a
> look in the Latex Companion, Googling, reading manuals, trial and
> error, or, as a last resort, asking this list will give me the
> necessary answers.
>
> If people, especially math students, have unsurmountable
> difficulties with latex, then they probably have more severe
> problems which are unrelated to latex.

Although I'm not a math but a humanities student I have to second
this. I'm not saying that things couldn't and shouldn't be more
streamlined, but IME this is not the main hurdle.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I'm not that easy to impress. – O, a blue car." Homer Simpson