[OS X TeX] 1/2" margins

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 21:28:41 CEST 2006

Axel E. Retif wrote:

>El 10/12/06 11:54 AM, "Alain Schremmer" <Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com>
>escribió:
>
>[...]
>

>>I mean, when you write a book you have
>>to make choices and these are then hard-wired.
>>

>As someone working in a publishing house ---that is, with other people's
>books---, I would very strongly suggest you to make as few formatting
>changes in your document as possible, if not specifically instructed by your
>publishing house to do so. Any changes to the ``hard-wired'' LaTeX behavior
>most likely will only mean more work and more time in the publishing
>process.
>
>That is, I think, the main purpose of LaTeX ---let authors work on content
>and structure, and let publishing houses and journals to work on formatting
>and design.

As Adams wrote, "Sorry, that part should've had a bit more editing, and
didn't quite  come out as I'd intended."

The choices I was alluding to were not "typesetting" choices. As you
said, essentially, such choices would not my business. I meant content
choices.

Say I am writing on Boolean algebras. I can decide to start by defining
them in terms of the operations AND and OR or I can decide to start by
defining them in terms of the relations MORE THAN and LESS THAN. In the
long run, the two are equivalent and that should come out eventually,
but the way I choose to do it is "hard-wired" and neither can I give the
reader a switch Boolean algebras starting with AND and OR / Boolean
algebras starting with MORE THAN and LESS THAN. In a program, I imagine
I could, like those DVDs that give you a choice of endings. And, in
software, I think that this is the point of the preferences.

Best regards
--schremmer

P.S. I am not "specifically instructed by [my] publishing house to do"
anything because I haven't any! And I am not fishing for one  :-) since,
as it happens, the main, or at least initial, reason for my learning
LaTeX was to write in a non-proprietary format to upload the magnum opus
under a GPL.