[OS X TeX] OT: Backup software

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Wed Oct 11 14:34:44 CEST 2006

On 11.10.2006, at 13:49, Enrico Franconi wrote:

> On 11 Oct 2006, at 00:08, Christian Heine wrote:
>
>> There's also
>> Unison <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/> which some
>> people are
>> quite fond of (no experience myself).
>>

> I am one of them. It is resource-fork aware, and it is more than
> just a backup utility, it is a sync utility. Its main advantage is
> that you may have more than one machine syncing through the same
> server, which works both as a backup and as a way to keep the
> computers in multi-directional sync.
> I 'unison' my powerbook at home and my desktop at the office
> several times a day through the internet network with a bsd server.
> It is multi-platform, so you can sync macs, linux/unix, windows,
> etc. The only problem is that you need an additional machine,
> rather than just an external disk.

I also use Unison (actually: unison, Unison is Usenet client) for
syncing three machines over a server which works very well. I'd very
much change to a 'true' versioning system, but every time I tried to
set up cvs, I failed. Just too annoying. I really like to see a
system-wide, GUI-based solution for versioning and synching. Maybe
Leopard and Timemachine will deliever this, who knows ...

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"In a world getting more and more democratic, film directing is the last
resort for dictators." Francis Ford Coppola