[OS X TeX] Re: OT: Backup software

Bill Rowe readlists at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 11 03:16:55 CEST 2006

On 10/9/06 at 7:56 PM, Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com (Alain Schremmer)
wrote:

>This is OT.

>I dutifully backup with Retrospect, say every hour, but just now I
>needed one of yesterdays versions of one of the over 10000 files
>that make up the Magnum Opus. And I couldn't get Retrospect to
>cough-up the file even when given the path name. Of course, I know a
>Retrospect "expert" who will get me the file but I am fed up.

>I just spent over an hour googling for backup software (over
>FireWire or Ethernet) to an external hard drive and, most important,
>one that is idiot-proof.

>SuperDuper ($27.95) ,  Data Backup ($49),  Intego ($70) all appear
>reasonable but of course they each claim to be the best. The only
>Open Source I found was on the terminal so that ruled it out.

>I would very much appreciate any suggestion.

You might find it well worth while to invest $10 in the e-book
Take Control of OS X Backups which can be found at

<http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/backup-macosx.html?14@@!pt=TB-HOME-SKY>

In this book, Joe Kissel discusses a number of different backup
strategies as well as the pros and cons of several different
backup software packages. I believe the information in this
e-book is well worth the price of admission.