[OS X TeX] OT: Backup software

Christian Heine christian at geosci.usyd.edu.au
Wed Oct 11 00:08:09 CEST 2006

Hi all,
this turned out to be a very interesting thread, thanks Alain!
Here's my AU-$ 0.02 to it (for people just interested in subversion read
below):

I use a combination of Synchronize Pro X (to sync PowerBook and G5),
SuperDuper (for daily internal and external incremental backup and
half-weekly clones), and Apple's Backup (to backup important files and
~/Library to my iDisk).
Preferring open source software in general, I looked into rsync but
apparently at that time rsync was incapable of copying resource forks (._*
files) which made our group collectively switch to SuperDuper. As a test
for rsync's resource fork support, try copying a link from Safari to any
directory and backing it up using rsync. It might have been fixed in the
meantime though, but it all sounded like a nasty problem. There's also
Unison <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/> which some people are
quite fond of (no experience myself).

[snip]
>> Both are on the terminal, Im afraid. I have an i-Package for svn, so it
is easy to install.

> Is this available through i-Installer? I didn't see it. Thanks,
> Joe

For my thesis and sci related work (*.tex files and *.bib), I have
Subversion running on the G5 and - contrary to the previous posts - it is
really easy to install and maintain. The only major pain is to set up the
repository. There are a couple of GUI apps available which offer good
integration with OS X:

Subversion compiled binaries (installer) from Martin Ott's page (one of the
SubEthaEdit guys):
<http://www.codingmonkeys.de/mbo/>
<http://www.codingmonkeys.de/mbo/Subversion-1.4.0.pkg.zip>

svnX:
<http://www.lachoseinteractive.net/en/community/subversion/svnx/features/?sid=edqi1hh7lgcdm127qtm2ffhij1>

Finder Plugin:
<http://scplugin.tigris.org/> no longer maintained, but still working on
PPC.

Finally, TextMate, offers an excellent svn interface:
<http://www.macromates.com>

I found subversion extremely helpful for my work, which involves some
coding and writing. But we're all waiting for the Timemachine, aren't
we....

Cheers
Christian