[OS X TeX] OT: Backup software

Jan Hegewald hegewald at cab.bau.tu-bs.de
Tue Oct 10 15:42:30 CEST 2006

Hello,
Am 10.10.2006 um 15:26 schrieb Alex Scorpan:

>> There still are quite a lot of them which don´t support case
>> sensitive file systems and simply override foo.tex with Foo.tex.
>
> Note that this is rather a Mac OS X issue!
>
> Mac OS X is case-aware but Not case-sensitive.

No. Maybe I was not clear. If you use case sensitive hfs+ formatted
disk (or UFS I guess) the file system does support case differences.

>   Namely, while Mac OS X will display foo.bar and Foo.bar
> differently, it will not consider them as different.  Try "touch
> foo.bar" followed by "rm Foo.bar" in a terminal;  or, in the
> Finder, if foo.bar already exists, try renaming another file to
> "Foo.bar".

hobbits:/Volumes/test hg$ touch foo.bar
hobbits:/Volumes/test hg$ rm Foo.bar
rm: Foo.bar: No such file or directory

If you want to try by yourself you don´t have to reformat a whole
harddisk. Instead you can just create a disk image using Disk
Utility.app and reformat to "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)".

Cheers,
-- Jan