[OS X TeX] Asymptote and Latex for Tiger

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 9 12:20:10 CEST 2006

Le 8 oct. 06 à 12:35, Gerben Wierda a écrit :

> On Oct 8, 2006, at 11:28 , Alain Matthes wrote:
>
>> I know that's is off topic but Asymptote is a very good soft and
>> on Ubuntu
>> it' a pleasure to work with him and latex.
>>
>> I've some difficulties to compile the source on a G5 mono.
>> Perhaps someone succeeded in doing it and can explain me how to
>> proceed
>
> I had a quick look. It seems that the readline that ships with Mac
> OS X ( eve the most recent one) is old. asymptote assumes a
> different readline and compilation fails on the differences.
>
> There are two ways forward:
> - patch asymptote until it matches Apple's readline from 2004 or
> better until it can handle older readlines properly when compiling.
> - install readline from 2005 (this is risky if not performed with
> care)
>
> A bit more inspection of asymptote (ChangeLog) suggests you can
> compile een when readline is not present. You will get a asy that
> has no command line editing, but that does work. So, after
> configure, I dited Makefile and config.h to remove readline (no -
> lreadline in Makefile and the READLINE define commented out in
> config.h).

The following is possibly unnecessary, in case you already know about
this. But, if not:

Have you tried installing the "binary" OS package at <http://
www.hmug.org/pub/MacOS_X/X/Applications/Publishing/asymptote/>? A
MakeFile is already included. That said, the most recent version of
the package has a "G5" in its name, which might suggest it wouldn't
work on an Intel Mac.

And even more, the MakeFile assumes the following dependencies are
satisfied;

> asymptote 1.13 - Mac OS X/Darwin
>
> Dependencies:
> bzip2 1.0.3
> fftw 3.1.2
> freetype 2.1.10
> g77 3.4.5
> gawk 3.1.5
> gettext 0.15
> ghostscript 8.54
> ghostscript-fonts-std 8.11
> ImageMagick 6.2.9
> jasper 1.701.0
> jbigkit 1.6
> jpeg 6b
> lcms 1.15
> libexif 0.6.13
> libiconv 1.11
> libpng 1.2.12
> libwmf 0.2.8.4
> libxml2 2.6.23
> mpeg2vidcodec 1.2
> pkg-config 0.20
> readline 5.1
> sed 4.1.5
> tetex 3.0
> X11 1.1
> zlib 1.2.3

Which might as well just bring back to the issue you mentioned.

The FAQ at <http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/FAQ/section2.html>
mentions the issue:

> Question 2.2. Why do I get an error in interact::init_completion()
> about invalid conversion from char* (*)(const char*, int)' to 'int
> (*)(const char*, int)' on installing Asymptote from the Mac OS binary?
>
> This means that your system does not satisfy the readline
> dependency listed at http://www.hmug.org/pub/MacOS_X/X/Applications/
> Publishing/asymptote
>
> Either upgrade to the latest GNU readline library or (if you don't
> care about readline support) simply compile Asymptote directly from
> the official source distribution (which will automatically detect
> and disable obsolete versions of the readline library): http://
> sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=120000.

FWIW,