[OS X TeX] Questions about a clean? install

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 9 10:33:51 CEST 2006

Le 8 oct. 06 à 12:06, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 07.10.2006 um 19:56 schrieb Josep M. Font:
>
>>> What are these? And in a properly operating system should these
>>> be created?
>>
>> I would also like to know...
>
> When you haven't installed and activated the CM-Super fonts, then
> (La)TeX needs to use PK fonts when you're using CM. These are
> generated on-the-fly when they are not found. When they are
> generated they are written into a part of the file system where
> only variant files reside.
>
> [...]
>
> As soon as pdf(La)TeX or dvips or dvipdfm(x) see the CM-Super or
> other substitutes in their MAP files they get used and no PK files
> need to be included and generated. You can avoid this (mostly) by
> using PostScript fonts. I think indices, exponents, a lot of text
> marks are still CM ...

Coming late to this thread: even when the CM-Super fonts are
installed, files are generated inside /private/var/tmp/texfonts/.
This is because LaTeX needs certain TFM files, either because the
document you're typesetting uses them, or because these are required
when compiling the LaTeX format. And the only way to create them is
to run METAFont on the appropriate .mf source files.

For example, on a new Mac I've just got and on which I've only
installed gwTeX without typesetting any (La)TeX document yet, there's
already:

> theo8mc233:/private/var/tmp/texfonts bvoisin$ ls -lR
> total 8
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 root  wheel  343 Oct  6 16:42 ls-R
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 18:55 pk
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 18:55 source
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 18:55 tfm
>
> ./pk:
> total 0
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 18:55 ljfour
>
> ./pk/ljfour:
> total 0
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 18:55 jknappen
>
> ./pk/ljfour/jknappen:
> total 0
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 18:55 ec
>
> ./pk/ljfour/jknappen/ec:
> total 48
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  23964 Oct  5 18:55 ecrm1000.600pk
>
> ./source:
> total 0
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 18:55 jknappen
>
> ./source/jknappen:
> total 0
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 18:55 ec
>
> ./source/jknappen/ec:
> total 8
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  67 Oct  5 18:55 ecrm1000.mf
>
> ./tfm:
> total 0
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 18:55 jknappen
>
> ./tfm/jknappen:
> total 0
> drwxrwxrwt   3 root  wheel  102 Oct  5 18:55 ec
>
> ./tfm/jknappen/ec:
> total 8
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  3148 Oct  5 18:55 ecrm1000.tfm

This is because the TFM file ecrm1000.tfm is required when creating
the LaTeX format at the end of the Configure stage of the TeX i-
Package. It corresponds to the EC font ecrm1000 (an 8-bit extension
of the original crm10). And, as Peter Dyballa pointed out, Jorg
Knappen is the author of the EC fonts (hence jknappen), and METAFont
is by default configured to generate bitmap fonts for the LaserJet 4
printer (hence ljfour) which has 600 dpi resolution (hence .600pk).

Here:

- ecrm1000.mf is a generated METAFont source file, calling files in
turn from /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/source/jknappen/ec/.

- ecrm1000.tfm is the generated metrics in TFM format.

- ecrm1000.600pk is the generated bitmap font in PK format at 600 dpi
resolution.

In case you don't need generation of bitmap EC fonts (for example
you've installed the CM-Super fonts, or you're always using
PostScript fonts such as Times etc. when you write \usepackage[T1]
{fontenc}), then there's an easy way of avoiding the generation of
the EC TFM files inside /private/etc/tmp/texfonts: install, in /usr/
local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/tfm/jknappen, all the files from
the tfm subdirectory of <ftp://tug.ctan.org/pub/tex-archive/fonts/
ec.zip>. In this way you'll get all the EC TFM metrics pre-installed.

Hope this helps,