[OS X TeX] Asymptote and Latex for Tiger

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Oct 8 12:35:33 CEST 2006

On Oct 8, 2006, at 11:28 , Alain Matthes wrote:

> Hello :) sorry for my bad english
>
> I know that's is off topic but Asymptote is a very good soft and on
> Ubuntu
> it' a pleasure to work with him and latex.
>
> I've some difficulties to compile the source on a G5 mono.
> Perhaps someone succeeded in doing it and can explain me how to
> proceed

I had a quick look. It seems that the readline that ships with Mac OS
X ( eve the most recent one) is old. asymptote assumes a different
readline and compilation fails on the differences.

There are two ways forward:
- patch asymptote until it matches Apple's readline from 2004 or
better until it can handle older readlines properly when compiling.
- install readline from 2005 (this is risky if not performed with care)

A bit more inspection of asymptote (ChangeLog) suggests you can
compile een when readline is not present. You will get a asy that has
no command line editing, but that does work. So, after configure, I
dited Makefile and config.h to remove readline (no -lreadline in
Makefile and the READLINE define commented out in config.h).

After that I got a complete compile. If I was not so busy, I could
probably create an i-Package for it in an hour or so.

It may be best to ask the asymptote maintainers to add a --without-
readline option to ./configure

Yours,