[OS X TeX] TeXShop and files on a network

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Oct 5 17:53:17 CEST 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 10:26 PM, Stephen Moye wrote:

> What I am saying is that we have TeX documents on a server. One person
> might create the original document, and another person might make
> corrections
> on that file. When the first person, the one who created the file,
> closes that file and quits TeXShop, the second person is not able
> to open and TeX the file because
> TeX(Shop) complains that the log file is in use. We don't want to have
> multiple versions of the file in multiple places at the same time.
> We put the files
> on the server and edit them there to avoid the problems of version
> control. The question is, why does
> TeXShop think that the log file is still in use when the person who
> is editing
> the file tries to TeX it.
>
> Could it be a permissions problem? Could it be that the person who
> is TeXing
> the file 'owns' the log file so that other users do not have access
> to it? But
> that would, I should have thought, have given a different error.
>
> Puzzled.

I believe that Mac OS X programs will keep a lock on a file until
they quit unless specifically closed. Try this as a test:

  - start TeXshop on one machine, make a new file on the server,
typeset it, then close the file, leaving TeXshop running
  - open the file on a different machine, make a change, then try to
typeset it.
  - if the file doesn't typset, quit TeXshop on the first machine and
try again --- if it works then, it seems to me this is probably a
change which needs to be made in TeXshop (to work around a Cocoa
framework bug?)

Failing that, the issue may be something related to group membership
on your fileserver --- what sort is it and how do you have groups set
up? IME, everyone belonging to a particular group can sometimes
influence access to files --- is it all files all the time, or just a
certain subset under as-yet undefined conditions?

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.