[OS X TeX] pdf the size of printed text?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 4 23:55:49 CEST 2006

On 4-okt-2006, at 0:51, Ross Moore wrote:

> On 02/10/2006, at 4:41 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> On 2-okt-2006, at 4:51, david craig wrote:
>>
>>> How do I persuade pdftex to produce output that is just as large
>>> as the are covered by the text and no larger, in the way that
>>> LaTeXiT does when you drag TeX'd output out of its output window??
>>
>> See http://mactextoolbox.sourceforge.net/articles/baseline.html
>> for various methods.
>
> All these methods work, but are way more complicated than necessary.
>  pdfTeX can do it directly.
>
> See the PDF examples at:
>    http://www-texdev.ics.mq.edu.au/WARM/WARMhome/node5.html
>
> These are multipage PDFs containing at least one page that
> is sized to fit the content.
>
> The examples also have a link to download the (La)TeX source.
> There's about 10 lines of TeX coding towards the end
> that does the \shipout of a box with the correct size and
> contents.

[snip, use the archives]

> That's it.
> You can put as many of these into a document as you like.
> Then you can use \includegraphics[page=<num>]{....}
> to extract the pages as separate PDF images,
> for use within other LaTeX documents.
>
> Hope this helps,

Cool. I'll update the article. Adding the depth of the box to
(automatically) correct the baseline offset is simply \dp0. However,
that still leaves the problem of multi-line equations, or true
displayed equations. Any further suggestions in that respect are very
welcome.

Regards,

Maarten