[OS X TeX] multiline bracket in a table, text in math mode?

Cyril cyril.niklaus at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 16:14:25 CEST 2006

Thanks for the many answers! I still have not reached the exact
result, so I'm still trying.

On 4 oct. 06, at 18:44, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> \[ \text{il}  \left. \begin{array} {ccc}
> 	\text{est content} \\ \text{sera content} \\ \text{serait content}
> 	\end{array} \right\} \text{que vous soyez là} \]

Indeed, this solves the spacing problem in math environement. I found
out (by luck) a bit before getting your mail that \textrm allowed me
to get the text the way I wanted. I did not know of simply \text in
combination with amsmath (since I don't use it).

On 4 oct. 06, at 18:56, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
> Use the amsmath package. Then
>
> \begin{equation}\notag
> \text{Il} \quad \begin{smallmatrix}
> A&\\[6pt]
> B&\\[6pt]
> C&
> \end{smallmatrix}\Biggr\}\quad
> \end{equation}

which was simpler, could be inserted into a tabular, but the size of
the font of the smallmatrix is too small. Changing it to matrix
solves that, but then the \Biggr\} is too small to accommodate the
bigger vertical interlinear space. I've corrected that by changing
the [6pt] to [-10pt].
As indicated in your second email, one can use Bmatrix to go around
that problem, but then I don't know how to get rid of the left brace.
The main problem remaining with this solution is that tabularx does
not seem to understand the size of the cell, and the text collides
with the text of the cell to the right of it. It also does not draw
the  vertical lines completely and the text is not at the same height.

On 4 oct. 06, at 21:00, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> Use the amsmath package and then
>
> \[ \text{il}  \left. \text{\begin{tabular} {ccc}
> 		est content \\ sera content \\ serait content
> 	\end{tabular}} \right\} \text{que vous soyez là} \]
Works nicely on its own, but I was not able to insert it into another
tabular. Is it possible to nest a table inside another one? I was not
able to find info on that in my LaTeX books.

I also tried to go a different route, with tables. It works more or
less, but I have the same problem as with the previous solution: the
text of the left-most cell is higher than the following two, which
start at the level of the last line of the left-most cell.

\begin{table}[ht]
\begin{minipage}[b]{0.25\columnwidth}%
\emph{Simultanéité} du verbe \\subordonné par rapport\\ au verbe
principal
\end{minipage}
\begin{minipage}[b]{0.25\columnwidth}%
\[ \text{il}  \left. \text{\begin{tabular} {ccc}
		est content \\ sera content \\ serait content
	\end{tabular}} \right\} \text{que vous soyez là} \]
\end{minipage}
\hfill%
\begin{minipage}[b]{0.33\columnwidth}%
\[ \text{il}  \left. \text{\begin{tabular} {cc}
		était content \\ a été content
	\end{tabular}} \right\} \text{que vous soyez là} \]
\end{minipage}
\end{table}