[OS X TeX] TeXShop typesetting and macro questions

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Oct 3 18:54:32 CEST 2006

On 3 Oct 2006, at 3:07 pm, Chris Goedde wrote:

> My original question stands: Is there a way to write an applescript
> macro in TeXShop to pass the "-jobname NAME" option to pdfetex? I
> want to do this on a per-document basis, so hard-coding something
> into a preference or shell script won't do it. Does anyone know if
> this can be done, or how to do it?

If I'm understanding your requirement properly, I guess the way to do
it would be to write an AppleScript that edits an .engine file to add
the -jobname option, or writes the jobname you want into a temporary
file somewhere for a custom engine to read.

That seems pretty hacky, though; it might be easier to forget
AppleScript and simply use a shell script (running as a TeXShop
engine). What is the source of the -jobname value you want to pass?
If it's something easily recognizable in the source file, then you
could use a shell script that first uses grep/awk/perl/sed/whatever
to locate and extract the appropriate name, then calls pdfetex with
the option you want.

An engine file along these lines might work:

   #!/bin/bash

   PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/`uname -p`-
apple-darwin-current

   JOBNAME=`perl -ne 'if (/^%!TEX jobname=([^\s]+)/) { print $1;
exit; }' "$1"`

   pdfetex -jobname="$JOBNAME" "$1"

This is intended to find a line of the form

   %!TEX jobname=something

in the source, and run pdfetex with that jobname. I haven't tried it,
though; I hope someone will find and fix the errors, if I didn't get
it right!

HTH,

JK