[OS X TeX] TeX and the wild wild world out there

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Nov 29 21:37:49 CET 2006

Le 29 nov. 06 à 20:23, Victor Ivrii a écrit :

> If someone sends by email  the text in M$W despite warning that it is
> not accepted format, attachments goes to trash without reading and the
> author is treated like a spammer.

Then it must be hard to write research proposals, in case you have to
do that, cos' fairly often the documents to be filled in are .doc
files. And even when they aren't, your co-proposers often ask them to
be converted to .doc files. (And OpenOffice is generally not an
option, as the documents often contain tables and I've very rarely
seen tables written in Word come out OK in OpenOffice's Writer.)

I do not like this situation, and I would prefer to work with TeX
files and have no supplier tie-in, but that's the world we live in.

And there are, of course, all the notes from the various agencies my
research lab depends on (two universities and a research centre), of
local government authorities, etc., which generally are distributed
in the form of .doc email attachments.

Actually the situation is getting better than this, in that more and
more often .pdf files are used where .doc files would have been used
exclusively a few years ago. But then, in case you need to edit to
edit these .pdf files (imagine, for example, a collaborative research
proposal), then you need to purchase the commercial Acrobat Pro, and
you're back to where you started from.

Bruno Voisin