[OS X TeX] TeX and the wild wild world out there

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 21:23:36 CET 2006

Paul Vickers wrote:

>> That is pretty bad. It is like not being able to stand a beautiful
>> mind in an ugly body. What do the two have to do together?
>>

> Er no, it's not. We're talking about documents here not people. What
> content and form have to do with each other is that we strive for
> excellence and want to get our message across in accessible a form as
> possible. The same goes for our spoken words -- we try to conform to
> the rules of grammar, clear diction etc. as much as possible because
> it's easier for our audience.

The form I want to give to my message is for me to decide. If I want to
be "diplomatic", that's my decision. I do not allow myself to use bad
form to reject stuff from students.

> Try telling a graphic designer that  form and content are unrelated....

Yes but that does not entail the graphic designer' viewpoint ought to be
THE viewpoint.

>>> Others really don't care about the maths so much
>>

>> Now this makes me very unhappy. Just because my handwriting is
>> terrible, does that imply that my love of mathematics is anything
>> less than yours?
>

> No, again, we're talking about typesetting tools, not people. BUT, if
> you want people to read what you write by hand then it behoves you to
> write legibly else people won't understand it.

It is certainly in my interest if I write to Cauchy. That Cauchy should
consider it sine qua non, I deplore.

Regards
--schremmer