[OS X TeX] local vs. global symlink

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Wed Nov 29 19:55:09 CET 2006

Charilaos Skiadas escribió:

> On Nov 28, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Axel E. Retif wrote:
>
>> On Nov 28, 2006, at 18:39, Jack Kuipers wrote:
>>
>>> Please, tell me there will "always" be a version of Mac OS X
>>> TeXShop that one (even I) can install --- if, or when, issued, or
>>> acquiring a new up-to-date Mac.  Most of us older folk are
>>> "falling away" but until then, --- Are there any comforting words
>>> out there for WE, the recalcitrant few?
>>
>> Remember that TeXShop sets its path in TeXShop --> Preferences...
>> Engine tab. This thread is mainly about the command line interface.
>
> Well it is partly for other front-ends as well, let's not forget
> there are a number of different editors that people can use to write
> their LaTeX in.

Right. That's why I said ``mainly'', and Jack Kuipers is interested in
TeXShop.

> In TextMate's LaTeX bundle, we'd rather not have to force the user to
> tell us what their preference is.

I haven't used TextMate, but I've seen the movie and its impressive.

> They have already stated their preference by setting the command line
> interface one way or another,

Remember that i-Installer *asks you* if you want to add the command line
interface. Some just said yes, and latter blame Gerben Wierda for setting
system-wide preferences without they knowing ---rather without they reading,
because they could always uncheck CLI activation.

> But in any case, all these are really not the user's concern at all
> at this point. So to all users out there, don't pay too much
> attention to all this, yet. The dust will settle, just wait a bit.

[...]

> So as long as your TeX installation works just fine, there is
> absolutely no reason to mess with it.

This is the path I will follow.

Best,

Axel