[OS X TeX] Switcher 1.1

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Wed Nov 29 15:46:21 CET 2006

On Nov 29, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> The path in TeXShop should be set to /usr/local/texprograms in
> Preferences/Engine
>
> Claus
>
> On Nov 29, 2006, at 14:40, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>
>> After switching (via Switcher) to texlive2005, that I installed
>> myself from the TeXLive iso, though I assume that the MacTeX
>> installation will give the same result, the path to tex is
>>
>> /usr/local/texlive2005/bin/powerpc-darwin
>>
>> Inside this of this folder are the different tex binaries, where
>> the main one is called pdfetex, and the others like pdflatex are
>> only symlinks pointing to pdfetex
>>
>> riemann:~ claus$ readlink /usr/local/texprograms/pdflatex
>> pdfetex
>>
>> The name power-pc-apple-darwin-current isn't used by TeXLive (TUG)
>> only by Gerben's distributions. Click on Switcher's reveal button,
>> then you will see the path to active tex as defined by /usr/local/
>> texprograms.
>>
>> Claus
>>
>> On Nov 29, 2006, at 12:34, Michael Kubovy wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> In the past I used teTeX and Gerben Wierda's ii2.app. It was the
>>> best of times.
>>>
>>> After all the discussion on this list, I installed TeXLive2005.
>>> This was a hasty and foolish decision I see, but given the
>>> extraordinary fiducial responsibility of the developpers of LaTeX
>>> tools in general and tools for the Mac in particular, not
>>> uncharacteristic of a trusting person.
>>>
>>> Currently pdflatex seems to reside in
>>> 	/opt/local/bin
>>> If I set that as TeXShop's path setting, then tools I took for
>>> granted, such as apa.cls, which still lives in
>>> 	/Users/mk/Library/texmf/tex/latex/misc/apa.cls
>>> or apacite.sty, which is in
>>> 	/Users/mk/Library/texmf/tex/latex/apacite/apacite.sty
>>> are not found by TeXShop.
>>>
>>> If I use the default setting in TeXShop, it tells me that
>>> 	/usr/local/teTeX/bin/power-pc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
>>> does not exist.
>>>
>>> Switcher hasn't solved my problem.
>>>
>>> Please help.

Assuming that your setting is more general, than /opt/local/bin , I
changed the preference according to your suggest, even though the
previous setting (/opt/local/bin) was also working.

Thanks.
_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/