[OS X TeX] TeX and the wild wild world out there

Paul Vickers eattheword at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:08:03 CET 2006

Not sure 'acceptable' and 'ugly as hell' fit together.... I just
assessed a PhD thesis which had lots of fairly simple maths in it --
mostly set theory type stuff, very few subscripts, no fractions,
integrals, roots etc. Because the thesis was prepared in Word the
maths was, as you say, ugly as hell; however, to my eyes that makes
it unacceptable as it's actually very hard to read. It's a BIT LIKE
WRITING ALL YOUR THESIS BODY TEXT IN MONOSPACED CAPS.

I went to a workshop in August the proceedings of which appeared in
Springer's LNCS series. Consequently we authors had a choice of Word
or LaTeX templates (provided by Springer). It's interesting to leaf
through the finished volume as there is a marked aesthetic difference
between the Word-produced and the LaTeX-produced chapters. I know
which I think are easier on the eye.

Paul

Paul