[OS X TeX] Very (Mac)-specific mpm problem

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Wed Nov 29 00:43:52 CET 2006

For those of you using the MikTeX package manager, I have a problem
that I don't really know how to go about solving. As far as I can
tell, it's a weird interaction between mpm and my particular (and
somewhat esoteric) networking situation.

I have a G5 machine that uses a shared internet connection through
another G5.  So the network configuration is the following:

G5(a) -- via ethernet -- G5(b) -- via airport -- base station -- DSL modem

So on G5(b) I have internet sharing turned on, and the firewall
turned off (which is fine since everything is behind the Airport
router anyway.)

This is necessary because G5(a) doesn't have airport and the base
station is too far away to connect to it directly.

Now to the mpm part:

I just installed mpm on G5(a) and it doesn't seem to be able to
connect.  So if I enter

% mpm --update-db

Nothing happens for a while (in the order of minutes), and then
finally I get the following message:

mpm: The cURL easy interface returned error code 8

This error code is supposedly

>CURLE_FTP_WEIRD_SERVER_REPLY (8)
>
>After connecting to an FTP server, libcurl expects to get a certain
>reply back. This error code implies that it got a strange or bad
>reply. The given remote server is probably not an OK FTP server.

Now internet connections work fine on this machine, e.g. web
browsing, e-mail and curl itself (i.e. % curl <url>  correctly
retrieves the URL.)

My question is how do I go about figuring out what is going wrong so
that I can even report it to the MikTeX tools developers.  I tried
adding the --trace option to the command, but it produces nothing.
Similarly, the system log shows nothing.

I use mpm on two laptops (a Macbook Pro and a G4) via Airport, both
without any difficulty.

This is probably too weird for anyone to help, but I thought I'd ask...

Thanks

Alan

--
Alan Munn                                                   amunn at msu.edu