[OS X TeX] About ~/Library/texmf/

Anthony JACOB anthony.jacob at strath.ac.uk
Tue Nov 28 19:56:54 CET 2006

William Adams wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2006, at 7:01 AM, Anthony JACOB wrote:
>> Is it possible to sort them by type of class ? i.e. to have a
>> repertory wiht all class based on article.cls, a other for class
>> based on book.cls etc ...
>
> Yes. So long as all .cls files go into folders inside of ~/Library/
> texmf/tex/latex this will work fine.

Ok, I tried and you have right it works fine. Nice :)

>> My last question is about pictures for titlepage. For example,
>> there is some pictures I include in my papers very often, and I
>> would put them in one directory in ~/Library/texmf/ but I don't you
>> where and how specify to each class to look the pictures.
>> For example can I give as argument {~/Library/texmf/.../.../logo}
>> to \graphicspath ?
>
> Actually, any graphic in ~/Library/texmf/tex or sub-directories
> thereof will be found.

As I haven't read anything about graphic folders, I've create a folder
"graphics" in ~/Library/texmf/tex and it works very well

>> Finally, how can I have a "good" ~/Libray/texmf/ and where have I
>> to put my personnal class !?
>
> The TeX Directory Structure files are not exactly light reading, but
> you may want to look at them to understand something of the
> underlying mechanisms.

No, I think it is no difficult, it's just 20 pages and it is quiete
simple. I advice everyone who wants to create his own ~/Library/texmf to
have a look on it.

> So long as you put things in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex you should be
> fine though (test each file addition?) and a personal arrangement /
> folder structure within that should work okay.

So, I just put my bibTeX styles and the lipsum which is not in TeXLive
in my tree, the command "ls -R ~/Library/texmf/"  gives me :

bibtex  doc     source  tex

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//bibtex:
bib     bst

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//bibtex/bib:
misc

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//bibtex/bib/misc:

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//bibtex/bst:
misc

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//bibtex/bst/misc:
frplain.bst     plainurl.bst    unsrt-fr.bst    unsrtnat.bst
unsrturl-fr.bst unsrturl.bst

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//doc:
latex

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//doc/latex:
lipsum

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//doc/latex/lipsum:
lipsum.pdf

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//source:
latex

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//source/latex:
lipsum

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//source/latex/lipsum:
README.1st      lipsum.dtx      lipsum.ins

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//tex:
graphics        latex

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//tex/graphics:
University_Strathclyde-Engineering.pdf

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//tex/latex:
articles        books           lipsum          reports

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//tex/latex/articles:

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//tex/latex/books:

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//tex/latex/lipsum:
lipsum.sty

/Users/anthony/Library/texmf//tex/latex/reports:

Say me if you think there is an error (I build it for me of course but
also in order to give to some friend whom I "teach" LaTeX :))

Thank you very much,

Anthony