[OS X TeX] Font embedding

Gerrit Glabbart glabbart at gmx.de
Mon Nov 27 20:16:52 CET 2006

Am 27.11.2006 um 20:02 schrieb George Gratzer:

> I was talking to a publisher who said that they need pdf files in
> which the Adobe Type 1 fonts are completely embedded. I could not
> tell her if this is the case with TeXShop.

TeXShop has little to do with it. It's an option in the configure
stage of Gerben's TeX i-package (teTeX or TeXLive, doesn't matter),
where it is called "Font Inclusion". The default is *not* to include/
embed the (standard) fonts, on the assumption that they are called
standard fonts for a reason -- so including them would unnessecarily
enlarge the pdf file. However, just how standard these fonts (like
Times, Palatino, Bookman, Avantgarde, Helvetica) is very much open
for debate, so it might be a good idea to run the configure process
again and choose the "include all fonts"  (or somesuch) option.

If you are not using one of the standard fonts -- for instance, if
you are using Latin Modern, or one of the gtamacfonts, those should
already be embedded in the pdf, but I'm not sure how "completely".
Anyone?

Cheers,
Gerrit.