[OS X TeX] teTeX still on my path

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 27 12:41:19 CET 2006

S P Suresh wrote:
[]
> Thanks for your suggestion. I found the source of the extra paths...
> well, not completely yet. In my ~/.profile, the first line says: test -r
> /sw/bin/init.sh && . /sw/bin/init.sh. It is automatically put there by
> Fink. I have isolated init.sh as the one which adds /usr/local/teTeX/...
> to my PATH. Also /usr/local/teTeX/man to my MANPATH. When I looked into
> /sw/bin/init.sh, I didn't see an explicit mention of anything relating
> to TeX. I think a crude hack is to comment out the first line in my
> ~/.profile, and whichever other place that line occurs in (my ~/.bashrc,
> for instance), and replace it by explicitly making additions to my PATH
> and MANPATH. Though it is a mystery as to where /sw/bin/init.sh picks up
> /usr/local/teTeX/... from! Let me pry a bit more into it.

It is Fink's "system-tetex" package that is doing this. It tries to make
Fink and (the older) GWtex compatible, but it doesn't know of texlive or
any of the other proposed tex installations that are bubbling up these days.

You probably don't want to remove the system system-tetex package, but
you can remove the startup script that sets your PATH. This is

/sw/etc/profile.d/system-tetex.{sh,csh}

I don't think it will harm to remove these, but you can also adapt the
PATHs that are set there to your new situation.

--
Martin