[OS X TeX] teTeX still on my path

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Nov 27 10:43:26 CET 2006

Le 27 nov. 06 à 10:00, S P Suresh a écrit :

> What are all the initialization files which set the path whenever I
> launch a shell? Or at least, what are the files in which TeX-
> related path information is written? Just for my information: none
> of my work is affected by this.

It depends on your shell. Using "Mac OS X Tiger in a Nutshell", and
the respective man pages:

- For bash:

/etc/profile		Executed automatically at login
~/.bash_profile		Executed automatically at login
/etc/bashrc		Executed automatically at shell startup
~/.bashrc		Executed automatically at shell startup

There seems to be also two alternative names for ~/.bash_profile, I'm
not quite sure what the difference is:

~/.bash_login
~/.profile

 From the Invocation section of the bash man page:

> When  bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a non-
> inter-
> active shell with the --login option, it first reads and executes
> com-
> mands  from  the file /etc/profile, if that file exists.  After
> reading
> that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and
> ~/.profile,
> in  that order, and reads and executes commands from the first one
> that
> exists and is readable.  The --noprofile option may be  used  when
> the
> shell is started to inhibit this behavior.
>
> [...]
>
> When an interactive shell that is not a login shell  is  started,
> bash
> reads  and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists.
> This
> may be inhibited by using the --norc option.  The --rcfile file
> option
> will  force  bash  to  read  and  execute commands from file
> instead of
> ~/.bashrc.

- For tcsh:

/etc/csh.cshrc		Executed at each instance of shell startup
~/.cshrc		Executed at each instance of shell startup
/etc/csh.login		Executed by login shell after /etc/csh.cshrc at login
~/.login		Executed by login shell after ~/.cshrc at login
~/.cshdirs		Executed by login shell after ~/.login

 From the Description section, "Startup and shutdown" subsection, of
the tcsh man page:

> A  login  shell  begins  by  executing  commands  from the system
> files
> /etc/csh.cshrc and /etc/csh.login.   It  then  executes  commands
> from
> files  in  the  user's  home  directory:  first  ~/.tcshrc  (+)
> or, if
> ~/.tcshrc is not found, ~/.cshrc, then ~/.history (or the value of
> the
> histfile shell variable), then ~/.login, and finally ~/.cshdirs (or
> the
> value of  the  dirsfile  shell  variable)  (+).   The  shell  may
> read
> /etc/csh.login  before  instead  of  after /etc/csh.cshrc, and
> ~/.login
> before instead of after ~/.tcshrc or ~/.cshrc  and  ~/.history,
> if  so
> compiled; see the version shell variable. (+)
>
> Non-login  shells read only /etc/csh.cshrc and ~/.tcshrc or
> ~/.cshrc on
> startup.

Thus there seems to be a difference in the initialization procedures
for bash and tcsh: if I interpreted the above correctly, for tcsh the
effect of csh.cshrc and csh.login is cumulative, with csh.cshrc being
read for a non-login shell (as in X11) and both csh.cshrc and
csh.login for a login shell (as in Terminal), while for bash the
effect of profile and bashrc is mutually exclusive, with bashrc being
read for a non-login shell and profile for a login shell.

Somewhere in one of these files, a reference to teTeX must be hiding
(or in a ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, though that shouldn't affect
Terminal, I think).