[OS X TeX] Remarks on the /usr/bin/texprograms symlink

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Nov 26 09:39:55 CET 2006

On Nov 26, 2006, at 02:00 , Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> In my opinion Gerben's i-Installer shouldn't be used any more for
> installing TeX, MacTeX does it too and better with respect to the
> symlink.

OK. Shall I end support by Dec 1 instead?

PS. I have no fundamental problems with the /usr/local/texprograms
symlink. TeX (KPSE) depends on searching in parent and grandparent
dirs for texmf.cnf. This works now with the /usr/local/texprograms
symlink (I had not expected this, I had expected it to look for /usr/
texmf.cnf instead) and that opens up possibilities. I am checking a
few things before implementing support for this.

PS. If there are people who will take over TeX i-Package maintenance
ans support, they will be able to create an i-Package that will
enable users to keep up to date during the year without having to
download half a GB every time when only a few things have failed. It
will also be possible to adapt the i-Package to updating a ISO-image
based TeX Live install. The ability to organise things such that you
can coexist has been one of the design criteria for i-Installer. The
only reason that until recently there was no such an updater i-
Package was that there were some fundamental differences between the
teTeX-texmf setup and the TL setup.