[OS X TeX] Remarks on the /usr/bin/texprograms symlink

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Nov 26 02:00:16 CET 2006

On Nov 26, 2006, at 1:36, Joachim Kock wrote:

> Two suggestions:
>
> 1) the symlink /usr/bin/texprograms should be used in PATH instead
> of its

I suggested to set the system wide path to /usr/local/texprograms
when a symlink texprograms exists, however compatibility issues with
Gerben's i-Installer made my suggestion moot.

In my opinion Gerben's i-Installer shouldn't be used any more for
installing TeX, MacTeX does it too and better with respect to the
symlink.

> target
>
> 2) the TeX Switcher should rely on a PATH definition in ~/.profile
> instead
> of modifying a symlink that affects all users.  (This suggestion is
> perhaps
> not viable, but it does points out a problem.)

Technically it is no problem to set a symlink locally, however any
system wide setting that points to a different tex source will cause
problems for the command line unless local provisions are taken.

Claus