[OS X TeX] Re: Path to TeX macro files

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat Nov 25 23:16:18 CET 2006

On 25-nov-2006, at 21:01, David Goldschmidt wrote:

> Maarten --
>
> Thanks for the info, but I'm trying to install noweb, a simplified
> version
> of cweb.  If that doesn't work, I'll try nuweb, because I want LaTeX
> rather than TeX.

Ah, it is possible to install noweb, I did so myself (but the
instructions are different, and IIRC noweb most certainly does not
rely on cweb).

 From what I can tell, you should set TEXINPUTS in the makefile to
your local texmf tree, which can be one of a few things, depending of
the freshness and flavor of the MacTeX package you used. For me it is
     /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/noweb
As far as I can see, the make file copies two macro files for plain
tex into the TEXINPUTS directory, and on my system those files are
found there. Possible changes are at the teTeX level in the above path.

HTMH,

Maarten

> On 11/25/06, Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> On 25-nov-2006, at 13:49, David Goldschmidt wrote:
>>
>> > I'm running a standard install of TeX (on Tiger) which I got from
>> > CTAN, following
>> > instructions given with TeXShop.  I believe the package is called
>> > MacTeX.   The good news is that the install worked completely
>> > automatically and TeX is running perfectly.  The bad news is that I
>> > don't
>> > know where anything is or how the installation actually works.  My
>> > problem is that I'm trying to install a version of the CWEB
>> literate
>> > programming
>>
>> cweave and ctangle are part of mactex, I think.
>>
>> > system.  The makefile requires a path to TEXINPUTS, which is
>> > described as
>> > "the directory for TeX macro files".  The default given is
>> > TEXINPUTS=/usr/local/tex/inputs
>>
>> Not setting it at all is the correct method I believe, but what you
>> are trying to install is probably already there.
>>
>> Maarten

> --
> Remember -- gravitation is only a theory!

Murphy's Law, supplemental: The chance of a slice of bread falling
butter side down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.