[OS X TeX] Problem compiling with XeLaTeX

S P Suresh spsuresh at cmi.ac.in
Thu Nov 23 06:19:47 CET 2006

Hi,

I just reinstalled the TeXLive i-Package after the latest update by
Gerben. I am running Mac OS X 10.4.8 on an iBook G$ (PowerPC). When I
try to compile a document with xelatex I get the error message that
xelatex.fmt is not found. Here is the exact output.

This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.995 (Web2C 7.5.5)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xelatex.fmt
fmtutil: format directory `/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/web2c' is
not writable.
I can't find the format file `xelatex.fmt'!

What is this about the directory not being writable? Have I done
anything stupid? Please enlighten me on this.

Cheers,
Suresh

S P Suresh
Chennai Mathematical Institute