[OS X TeX] Problem in installing Utopia expert fonts

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Wed Nov 22 16:06:26 CET 2006

I am trying to install Utopia expert fonts for use with the xutopia
and fourierx style files by Walter Schmidt. (See http://home.vr-
web.de/was/putx.html).

You first have to change the names of the font files, and to copy
them into  texmf.local/fonts/type1/adobe/utopia

FontName:             Adobe/Linotype:   TeX:

UtopiaExp-Bold        ueb_____.pfb  ->  putb8x.pfb
UtopiaExp-BoldItalic  uebi____.pfb  ->  putbi8x.pfb
UtopiaExp-Italic      uei_____.pfb  ->  putri8x.pfb
UtopiaExp-Regular     uerg____.pfb  ->  putr8x.pfb

Changing the names only doesn't work. After putting the .afm and all
other files in the appropriate places, LaTeXing a simple file with
small capitals ({\sc Essai}) gives an immediate failure after the
putr8x.pfb has been read.

Error: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
(file /usr/lo
cal/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/type1/adobe/utopia/putr8x.pfb):
unexpected en
d of file
==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

Maybe to t1unmac the files could help, but the result is:

$ t1unmac UtopiExpReg
t1unmac: UtopiExpReg: empty file
   (Try re-transferring the files using MacBinary format.)

$ t1unmac --raw UtopiExpReg
t1unmac: UtopiExpReg: empty file
   (Try re-transferring the files using MacBinary format.)

The finder says the file weighs 36 Ko.

Of course, I cannot re-transfer the files. I can only copy them from
Library/Fonts.

Any idea ?