[OS X TeX] Update of two i-Packages

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Nov 21 22:50:46 CET 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 22:28 , Philipp Mathey wrote:

> Ok, thanks.
>
> Until recently when all this talk about TeXLive started I hadn't
> even noticed
> that there are two TeX i-packages (one based on tetex, the other on
> TeXLive)
>
> Just to clarify, my questions are :
>
> 1) both i-packages can coexist, correct ?

Yes. But only one is active on the command line.

> 2) switching from one to the other involves :
> running "Configure only " in i-installer, and ...?

For the command line, Activate CL in the configure phase. For TeXShop
etc, change TeXShop settings.

> E.g. does the location of cm-super fonts have to be changed and the
> cm-super fonts be reinstalled ?

Yes. Either installation needs his own additions like CM-Super. For
the new TeX i-Package , the install location is /usr/local/TeXLive/
texmf.pkgs, for the old it is /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local

> 3) when using XeTeX (assuming both TeX i-packages are installed) :
>
> so for the switch
> TeX (tetex) i-package --> TeX (TeXLive) i-package
> I would need to :
> 1. uninstall the XeTeX i-package
> 2. run "Configure Only" for the TeX (TeXLive) i-package

No need to uninstall the XeTeX i-Package, it is installed in the old
location

> and for the switch
> TeX (TeXLive) i-package --> TeX (tetex) i-package
> I would need to
> 1. run "Configure Only" for the TeX (tetex) i-package
> 2. install the XeTeX i-package.
> ?
>
> By the way, what is the main difference between TeXLive and tetex ?

The TeX Live i-Package contains programs and binaries based on TeX
Live now and a texmf tree based on a subset of Tex Live.

The old TeX i-Package is based on TeX Live 2005 for the binaries and
teTeX (end 2004) for the texmf tree with some additions from TeX Live.

Basically, unless you need a TL2003/teTeX2 setup for some old
project, I would forget about the old TeX i-Package and only use the
new one.