[OS X TeX] Finally we are grown up

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Nov 21 20:46:16 CET 2006

In the past week or two, I learnt that installing  and configuring
TeXLive (TUG) is no-brainer due to the excellent installer script.
The installation guide is very well written and everybody who knows
how to use a keyboard, can read, and is not afraid of facing a
terminal window could have the same experience as I had.

The only slightly delicate situation arises when the tex path has to
be set before the configuration can take place, because of a prior
tex installation, where the installer has set the tex path system
wide in /private/etc/profile (for simplicity I am only considering
the bash shell).

Before one can set the new tex path one first has to get rid of the
system wide tex path. This is the only point where one could do
damage, if one doesn't know what is going on. However, if someone
knowledgeable tells you how to either change the system wide tex path
setting or how it will be ignored by a simple provision in your
local .profile file, then it will be a no-brainer too.

Installing TeXLive on a system, where no system wide tex path exists,
would be a no-brainer even without any coaching, or with minimal
coaching like the advice to add the two lines

  PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/texlive/2005/bin/i386-darwin"
   export PATH

at the end of ~/.profile, where i386 has to be replaced by powerpc,
if you have a PowerPC and not an intelMac.

This is the tex path for TeXLive 2005. Should you install TeXLive
2006 next year, then you would simply have to replace 2005 by 2006.
In case you kept the folder 2005, what I would recommend, then you
could simply switch back to 2005 by adjusting your local path.

Using this exact tex path, then one wouldn't need any applescript for
creating a symlink in /usr/local. The only symlink that might be
necessary is from ~/Library/texmf to ~/texmf. I offer an applescript
application for doing this, no password is needed, and even if you
intentionally would try to misuse it, it couldn't do any damage.

Of course, I know intelligent people who would flatly refuse reading
a few pages in the installation guide or my recipe  and try to
install TeXLive (TUG), however, none of these use tex. I actually
know only one tex user, an excellent  mathematician, who would refuse
following my suggestion, but this due to his disinterest in technical
non mathematical problems.

All of my grad students would certainly agree calling it a no-brainer
and they are not tex or unix experts, but simply open minded
intelligent young men.

This will be my last remarks with respect to installing TeXLive
(TUG). Very soon Richard Koch's MacTeX will offer a one click
installation vehicle.

Claus