[OS X TeX] System wide versus local path settings

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Nov 20 22:27:44 CET 2006

Today I created a .profile file in my home folder and added the lines

#  .profile for sh(1)

PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin"
export PATH

PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/texprograms"
   export PATH

   PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/texprogramsc"
   export PATH

The last path only for checking which path I would inherit as root.
In fact all paths were active when I was a normal user as well as
when I played root (via sudo).

Strangely then, any changes in /private/etc/profile  had no effect on
my path either as normal user or as root. Thus, when installing a new
tex as a user with administrator privileges it would suffice to only
change the path in ~/.profile and run texconfig-sys etc. as root.

Claus