[OS X TeX] Two updates

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Nov 20 16:13:49 CET 2006

Le 20 nov. 06 à 06:52, Gerben Wierda a écrit :

> Plse try again. The i-Directory entry pointed to the non-
> experimetal i-Package.

Trying it on Intel Mac (yesterday off-list was on PPC): everything
works fine except for XeTeX:

> This is a summary of all `failed' messages and warnings:
> `xetex -ini -jobname=xetex -progname=xetex -etex xetex.ini' failed
> `xetex -ini -jobname=xeplain -progname=xeplain -etex xeplain.ini'
> failed
> `xetex -ini  -jobname=xelatex -progname=xelatex -etex xelatex.ini'
> failed

Looking closer, the origin is:

> fmtutil: running `xetex -ini   -jobname=xetex -progname=xetex -etex
> xetex.ini' ...
> ! xetex.pool doesn't match; tangle me again (or fix the path).
>
> fmtutil: running `xetex -ini   -jobname=xeplain -progname=xeplain -
> etex xeplain.ini' ...
> ! xetex.pool doesn't match; tangle me again (or fix the path).
>
> fmtutil: running `xetex -ini   -jobname=xelatex -progname=xelatex -
> etex xelatex.ini' ...
> ! xetex.pool doesn't match; tangle me again (or fix the path).

Turns out this is caused by an older xetex.pool at /usr/local/TeXLive/
texmf.local/web2c/xetex.pool, taking precedence over the newer one /
usr/local/TeXLive/texmf/web2c/xetex.pool and not being compatible
with the binary /usr/local/TeXLive/bin/i386-apple-darwin8.8.1/xetex:

> $ ls -l /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/web2c/xetex.pool
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  31335 Nov 10 13:30 /usr/local/TeXLive/
> texmf.local/web2c/xetex.pool
>
> $ ls -l /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf/web2c/xetex.pool
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  31416 Nov 17 13:43 /usr/local/TeXLive/
> texmf/web2c/xetex.pool

I'm not sure where the presence of xetex.pool in texmf.local comes
from: possibly from an older install through the .pkg XeTeX distro on
my setup.

Maybe a solution would be that the TeXLive-based TeX i-Package looks
for any previous install of XeTeX inside texmf.local and, if so,
removes it first. I'm thinking of:

texmf.local/doc/generic/ifxetex/
texmf.local/doc/latex/xkeyval/
texmf.local/doc/xelatex/
texmf.local/doc/xetex/
texmf.local/fonts/misc/xetex/
texmf.local/scripts/xetex/
texmf.local/source/xelatex/
texmf.local/tex/generic/hyphen/
texmf.local/tex/generic/ifxetex/
texmf.local/tex/generic/xetex/
texmf.local/tex/xelatex/
texmf.local/tex/xetex/
texmf.local/web2c/xetex.pool

Of course, one should first check whether all these pieces (in
particular /usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.local/tex/generic/xetex/unicode-
letters.tex) are indeed present inside texmf.texlive. I'm too short
of time to do this right now.

Bruno Voisin