[OS X TeX] Finally we are grown up

Louis Talman talmanl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 09:13:37 CET 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 12:32 AM, Joachim Kock wrote:

> However, the 250-lines easy-instructions posted by an enthusiastic
> Claus
> Gerhardt make me think that perhaps the general pessimism is
> justified :-(

I think that it's very interesting that Claus didn't get it right on
the first try.  (Nor is this a criticism of Claus; we all make
mistakes like the ones he made.)

I'm not terrified of the command line; in fact I use it frequently
for a number of simple (to a real Unix jock) tasks.  But I know just
enough about Unix to understand how dangerous I am, and I think that
this is something that Claus overlooks.  I know enough to know that I
could cause serious damage by typing something wrong---or if Claus
has typed something wrong.  Claus knows how to recover from those
mistakes; I don't.  *That* is what terrifies me and those like me.  I
have too many other things that I must accomplish to risk a computer
that won't do what I need it to do for...how long?

--Lou Talman
   Metropolitan State College of Denver

   <http://clem.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>