[OS X TeX] Finally we are grown up

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Nov 19 18:39:52 CET 2006

Le 19 nov. 06 à 17:24, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> I had missed that. In other words, I should:
>
>    move to 10.4.8

Advisable, but not necessary. AFAIK TeX works still on Panther.

>    i-install everything with TeTeX

Yes.

>    Make sure everything works

It should, as nothing has changed in the teTeX-based i-Package recently.

>    i-install everything again but with TeXLive so as to be future-
> ready

You can, but you can as well stay with teTeX if everything works.

Regarding TeXLive, I would advise for now to stick to the TeXLive-
based i-Package instead of installing directly from the TeXLive DVD
(or from its ISO image). Why? Because:

- You can have the two i-Packages installed in parallel. Open the
teTeX-based i-Package, run Install & Configure: your Mac (and
TeXShop) will use teTeX. Open the TeXLive-based i-Package, run
Install & Configure: your Mac (and TeXShop) will use TeXLive.
(Addendum: at present you also need to change the path to the TeX
binaries in TeXShop's preference Engine > Path Settings, but Dick
Koch is working on having this set automagically so that you won't
have to worry in the future.) You can switch back and forth between
the two setups as many times as you like.

- For me the TeXLive-based i-Package works alright, and I'm not the
only one. Here and there I have had customizations to perform,
sometimes reported to this list, but that's because I live on the
bleeding edge in this respect (addition of MathTime and Lucida fonts,
etc.). For normal use, you shouldn't have anything to fix and the
TeXLive-based i-Package should work out-of-the-box.

Regarding using TeXLive directly from the TUG TeXLive DVD, Dick Koch
and others are working right now for integrating this inside MacTeX
(you should have three versions of MacTeX: one based on the teTeX i-
Package, one based on the TeXLive i-Package, one based on TUG's
TeXLive DVD). I would advise waiting until that is ready and fully
tested. IMHO using TeXLive directly from the TUG DVD is not ready for
prime time for the standard Mac user; others are performing the hard
work for you, you can as well wait until everything is ready for
public consumption, or polished enough such that a public beta can be
released.

Please rest assured that something will indeed be released: no need
to rush for now and put your TeX setup into danger.