[OS X TeX] A recipe for installing TeXLive (TUG)

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Nov 19 02:28:21 CET 2006

When you own an intelMac, then the term "powerpc" has to be replaced
by "i386"

I copy the correct for an intelMac below.

Claus

(2) Now set the symlink, by using the Applescript, which you should
create, if you haven't already done so. The   entries should be
exactly as shown below

-- Applescript
-- symlink for intelMac i386

-- Nov. 2006
-- Claus Gerhardt

(* It is necessary to use the full path for source file and target
file, if the files or directories are not in the same directory.

Notice that the administrator privileges will be valid for a few
seconds after you entered your password, so don't play around with
the script, it won't ask for your password again in those
circumstances.*)

set sourceName to "/usr/local/texlive/2005/bin/i386-darwin" --enter
the name of source folder

set symlinkName to "/usr/local/" & "texprograms"

set scriptPath1 to "/usr/local/"

set shellScript to "cd " & scriptPath1 & ";"
set shellScript to shellScript & "rm -fR " & symlinkName & ";"
set shellScript to "ln -s  -f " & sourceName & " " & symlinkName

do shell script shellScript with administrator privileges

-- End of script

Run the script in Script editor, you will be asked for your password.

Check, if everything is correct, by typing in the terminal window

readlink /usr/local/texprograms

and hitting return, notice that there is a free space after readlink.
The answer should be

/usr/local/texlive/2005/bin/i386-darwin

If this is not the case, check, if you made a mistake in the script,
and try again. If the error persists, stop and write to the list (you
must have made a mistake, very unlikely).