[OS X TeX] installing from TeXLive

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Nov 18 10:30:44 CET 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 00:16, Anthony Morton wrote:

> The Apple UI engineers long ago judged that their user base would find
> the existence of files in the same directory, whose names differed
> only by case, at best bizarre and at worst confusing.  It's also good
> practice not to use case alone to distinguish files since there's no
> inherent semantics one can infer from it.

As a rule this is true. But there is also reality where I am not alone
in deciding on names. Suppose I deal with two companies. One is the
clothing firm which calls itself NEXT and another is the computer firm,
which calls itself NeXT. I think in a case like that, staying as close
to actual reailty is nice. Hence, I would prefer to name the directory
with stuff from the one NEXT and from the other NeXT and thus have a
directory Customers/NEXT and Customers/NeXT. More possibilities results
in a (slightly) smaller chance of conflict here. It also open up the
misuse of those posisbilities. Still, I'd rather think that one should
leave the user in charge in issues like this.