[OS X TeX] TeXniscope DVI display bug?

Christopher Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Fri Nov 17 21:34:50 CET 2006

This *sounds* at first like a newbie problem, but I swear it
isn't! :-)  For reasons related to a problem I've been experiencing
with the simultaneous use of pdfsync and preview-latex, I am using
"latex -src-specials" to compile my LaTeX documents.  This, of
course, creates DVI files rather than PDF files.  I am using
TeXniscope to view these files, as it preserves source specials info
so I can have inverse search.  This works just fine, but for one
thing:  when I view the file with TeXniscope the file displays on
what appears to be A4 paper.  Now I am long since familiar with the
usual causes of this, and of course reran texconfig,  both from the
main menu and the DVIPS menu, just to make sure I am using
lettersize.  And if I compile my documents with pdflatex instead,
TeXniscope displays them correctly as lettersize.  Also, if I save
the file as a PDF when it's displaying A4-ishly in TeXniscope,
TeXniscope displays the resulting file  correctly!  And here's the
clincher:  xdvi displays the *very same* DVI file correctly.
TeXniscope warns that problems with DVI display are usually traceable
to dvipdfmx, which it allegedly uses for rendering DVI.  However, the
TeXniscope preferences show the dvipdfm program to be /usr/local/
TeXLive/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/dvipdfm, and when I run that
from the command line on the raw DVI file, the resulting PDF file
also displays correctly.  (As an aside, dvipdfms also creates a PDF
file that displays as lettersize, but the fonts look horrible.)

Anybody have any idea what's going on here?

Chris Menzel