[OS X TeX] Re: Finally we are grown up

Bastian Philipps bph at gmx.info
Thu Nov 16 21:01:05 CET 2006

Claus Gerhardt said the following on 16.11.2006 20:24 Uhr:
> I guess you are referring to the new or inexperienced user who needs
> hand holding. For these MacTeX will certainly offer a "click that
> button" wise installation of TeXLive, but,  the more experienced users
> can easily configure this installation to their needs: having an old and
> the new installation, or even several installations, choosing themselves
> which should be the default installation and remove older installation
> they are sure they don't want anymore in a simple and transparent manner.
>
 > snip <

Still, I would like to point out, that most of us started as the new or
inexperienced user (I still count myself into that group, far out of the
league of the tex experts on this list, a special thanks to Bruno and
Gerben for their generous help)!
Without Gerben's simple click-and-point method of installing TeX and
keeping it up2date, I guess, I would never have started to use TeX as
often as I do now.

> Especially, they can install tex themselves, if they want, by simply
> downloading the compressed TeXLive dmg. The i-installer only offered
> your choice, you acted as a filter,

I usually avoid having other people making choices for me concerning my
Mac, but with a system as complex as TeX at first site, I must say I
really liked it ;-)

> and I, e.g., had the impression that
> using the unix version of tex on a Macintosh depended mainly on your
> work, and that we would be lost without you.

After following the various threads on this lists concerning the future
of TeX on Mac, I believe even though it will require a little more
effort for first time users and for each update process, but I conclude,
even though I will miss Gerben's involvement, TeX on Mac will live on ;-)

> snip >

So, in conclusion, I would like to thank Gerben a thousand times for his
great work and involvement in making TeX so easy to use. gwTeX left
quite a mark in the community as far as I can tell.

And I hope with the help of this list's TeX Experts, I will still be
able to maintain a TeX installation on my Mac.