[OS X TeX] Finally we are grown up

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Nov 16 20:24:58 CET 2006

I guess you are referring to the new or inexperienced user who needs
hand holding. For these MacTeX will certainly offer a "click that
button" wise installation of TeXLive, but,  the more experienced
users can easily configure this installation to their needs: having
an old and the new installation, or even several installations,
choosing themselves which should be the default installation and
remove older installation they are sure they don't want anymore in a
simple and transparent manner.

Especially, they can install tex themselves, if they want, by simply
downloading the compressed TeXLive dmg. The i-installer only offered
your choice, you acted as a filter, and I, e.g., had the impression
that using the unix version of tex on a Macintosh depended mainly on
your work, and that we would be lost without you.

Of course, after your announcement that you will quit, I had a look
at the TeXLive home page and discovered that the installation process
TeXlive offered was simple and transparent, and when finally, a few
days later, I actually installed the original full unix TeXLive
version myself, I was surprised by the ease and smoothness of this
installation process without any patronizing by the software, a
quick, efficient, and transparent process that will allow me in the
future to control the tex versions that I use; installing a new
version will no longer cause an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach,
if the new version will work as smoothly for me as the old one; if
there will be problems a simple Applescript will make the old version
the default.

I don't know enough about the development of tex on mac to allow
myself a judgement on your role in this process, but given my recent
experience with TeXLive, I can now understand why Thomas Esser
decided to stop working on tetex, since it was no longer needed. As I
learnt, tetex influenced the development of TeXLive, and made its
present structure possible, i.e., Thomas Esser deserves a lot of
credit, but at least since 2005 (and maybe even since 2002),
additional tex installations besides TeXLive are unnecessary and
offer no improvements, on the contrary.

Claus