[OS X TeX] TS synchronization with \input

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Wed Nov 15 18:12:51 CET 2006

On Nov 11, 2006, at 9:12 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> I run to the following  problem with pdf-to-source synchronization
> while using nested \input files:
>
> I use a master file to \input a large number of files that reside
> in parallel folders in paths of the form ../problems/prob_i
> relative to the root file (with i=1, ...).  I often \input only
> some of these files in my root file. I noticed that when I command-
> click on certain spots of  the pdf output, the source file that
> pops opens is a file that is not \input'ed in my root file! This
> behavior is apparently due to TeXShop's synchronization (and not to
> pdfsync)  because the sync point in the source file is highlighted
> in bright yellow color.
>
> It appears that TeXShop's synchronization works by looking for
> matching strings in ALL *.tex files that reside in ../problems/,
> whether these files are actually loaded by the root file or not. If
> that's the case, it should be possible to add a check in the
> program to skip files that are not \input'ed.
>
> Themis

Here is an update on synchronization with multiple \input files based
on recent experience:

1. pdfsync does not seem to work - clicking on the pdf always opens
the root file, not the source (\input'ed) file.

2. TS's search works but is unreliable. With multiple input files
that contain lots of math and similar words, TS will open the first
file that produces a match. With many \input files, clicking on the
source of a later \input'ed file almost always fails to open the
correct input file.

Themis