[OS X TeX] End of i-Installer/i-Packages support per 1/1/2007

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Nov 13 13:18:26 CET 2006

Gerben's i-Installer is a sophisticated piece of software and its
contents, the i-Packages, need periodic upgrades. On a more abstract
footing, any tex installation software requires this periodic upgrade
process and for the best of the maintainers (and the users) this
process should be almost fully automated like simply replacing the
old contents by the new contents of a predefined subset of the
TeXLive installation whenever there is a new version of TeXLive.

Dick's announcement yesterday with the good news indicated that such
an automatic update process is achievable. We should encourage Dick
to pursue this goal of a robust, simple and dependable tex
installation via MacTeX which requires minimal maintenance and offers
upgrades whenever  there is a new TeXLive version.

The MacTeX installation process should be complete independent of any
future work on Gerben's i-Installer by others. If people are willing
to step in spending a lot of their time in maintaining i-Installer
that would be fine. However, if they decide to keep up with Gerben's
complex customization possibilities and quick  upgrades whenever a
single binary or package has changed, they will find that the burden
is too much, and frankly, also unnecessary.

Claus