[OS X TeX] End of i-Installer/i-Packages support per 1/1/2007

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 13 04:25:48 CET 2006

On Nov 12, 2006, at 6:37 PM, Wendy McKay wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> As I have announced at TUG2006 in Marrakech this week, my support for
>> i-Installer and the i-Packages will end on January 1st, 2007.
>
> Hi Gerben,
>
> I echo both the sadness and the glowing sentiments of all who have
> written
> to thank you for 6 years of  extraordinary  devotion to developing
> i-installer and i-Packages in your spare time.
> I am very grateful for the work you have done to make it possible for
> the group I assist to get TeX working on the Mac. Your dedicated
> effort
> to  provide prompt support, updates, and bug fixes  was greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Although you had hinted at ending development of gwTeX, it has
> still come
> as a bit of a shock and earlier than I envisioned.
>
> On behalf of the MacTeX TWG group, our sincere thanks for everything
> you have done for getting TeX on MacOS X working so well on both the
> PPC and the Intel machines with both teTeX and TeXLive. Also thanks
> for
> setting  up the TeX Showcase, and for the collaborative efforts
> with Apple.
> You have been a real trooper.
>
> All good wishes for your future adventures. I hope you will enjoy
> being a
> TeX user in 2007.
>
> =wendy

Wendy has about said it all. But I'd like to add my appreciation for
Gerben's excellent work over the years, and for his software that
made my first LaTeX install an easy task. Having returned to math
research after many years since grad school (long personal story), it
probably would have been a very discouraging nightmare attempting to
install this stuff myself without i-Installer and without someone
"down the hall" to help. After six years of a lot of work supporting
this software with little or no compensation, he definitely deserves
retirement from it, and a good one I hope it is.