[OS X TeX] OT: Memory

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 12 23:04:18 CET 2006

On 12-nov-2006, at 14:22, Marcus Michalsky wrote:

> sorry for Offtopic, but
> is there anyone out there, using a Mac Mini 1,42 GHz ? I have one
> with 512 MB of memory.
> My question is, should i buy a 1 GB module for 100-120 $ and change
> them (would the performance be much better ?).
>
> I plan to buy a new MAC in Summer next year when Leopard is out.

The G4 mini (PPC) hase a eparate video memory, hasn't it? The Intel
Mac Mini uses main memory for video, and therefore effectively has
less memory available than you think. Combine that with the need for
Rosetta, and the Intel Mini needs as much memory as it can get. The
PPC Mini can get by with a lot less. I prefer to have at least 1GB in
any computer I regularly use (currently I have a 1.25 GHz, 1GB
PowerBook G4, quite pleased with that). 512 MB should be usable, for
normal usage (not gaming, or memory intensive tasks, editing in
TeXShop does not qualify, run TeX is CPU intensive, but relatively
memory efficient).

In my experience, the performance of any unix-like system improves a
lot when you throw more memory in the machine (experience with Linux
and Mac OS X). Going from 0.5 to 1 GB will make some difference, but
which tasks do you currently find too slow?

I doubt that you will get the 100$ back when reselling a mini G4 next
summer.

> I am very unsure about all. The heat problem makes me unsure. The
> new Mac Mini is 5 times faster with SpecInt and SpecFP if you
> believe Apple on the website. But the new Notebooks get 90 degrees
> (Celsius) in a test... So i could also buy a PC with Core Duo with
> a tower with better air circulation, but then i haven't a good OS :-(
>
> A MacPro is too expensive for me. The lowest iMAC doesnt have Dual
> Superdrive etc ?

The heat in the MacBook (Pro) seems to vary, to say the least. As to
which configuration has what? see the Apple store website. But not
now, next summer. I don't think even Steve Jobs knows exactly what
will be on by then, and at what prices.

Maarten