[OS X TeX] OT: Memory

Marcus Michalsky mmichalsky at gmx.de
Sun Nov 12 22:50:15 CET 2006

Hi again, I am referring to the

http://www.mac-tv.de/RSS_Gratisfilm.lasso

free podcast videos. One of them is a test (german), where
they run two H.264 videos. The cpu temperature measurement was 90
degrees (max).
Surely it isn't the typical state, because you don't always use 2
cores at 100%, but encoding DVDs, rendering 3D animations etc. is
also heavy. And the Mac Mini (and the notebooks) don't have much
space to get rid off the warm air...

(The promised Performance / Watt issue from the Keynote doesn't hold
in my opinion ...)

@Claus Gerhardt. Well surely I want to buy a 24' MAC, but I am still
a student with a limited budget ;-) If I just go out and buy a 24'
iMAC , then I wouldn't consider the option of upgrading from 512 MB
to 1 GB ? :-(

@Bruno
 > It's not absolutely certain what exactly makes the difference,
between a 1GHz PowerBook G4
 > with 1 GB RAM and a 2.66 GHz MacPro with 2 GB RAM: CPU, frequency,
RAM. But for sure
 > with a new Mac next year you will feel a difference, whether a
MacPro or not!

I hope so, that 2 cores and a faster RAM with double capacity makes
hell the difference ;-)
But I have to put some money aside to get a new MAC. So i considered
to simply buy a RAM module for my old one, to survive with it another
half a year...