[OS X TeX] (relative amateur) right aligning a paragraph in LaTeX

Paul Vickers paul.vickers at unn.ac.uk
Sun Nov 12 11:57:50 CET 2006

Jason

I too recently moved my CV to LaTeX. Part of the reason was to be able
to automate the production of different versions from the same source -
in my case a small bash script produces *10* different versions at the
push of a button:
Colour: Full CV public, Full CV confidential (includes DoB, salary, home
address, referee details), Shorter CV public, shorter CV confidential,
and two-page summary CV
Monochrome: same as above, but no colours!

Anyway, to answer your first question, have you simply tried:
\hfill your text here

That will right-justify a single line and is ok for a quick and easy hack.

For your second question, I used the currvita package, though I hacked
the style file a bit to make it fit my own requirements more closely.
Happy to share it with you if you want to contact me off list. Currvita
has a two-column format with the left column being ideal for the date
effect you want.

Curve is not bad, but I found the tabular environment it uses made
producing non-indented enumerate/itemize lists in the right column just
too awakward to be worth the effort: I should state I am not a TeX
expert, just someone who knows just enough to be dangerous!

Cheers

Paul

Jason Davies wrote:
> Probably foolishly I moved my cv into LaTeX (foolishly because precise
> knowledge is required to get the layout to work). I am therefore
> throwing myself on your mercy on this...
>
> 1) The address at the top looks fine and dandy left-justified. But a
> colleague said that having it on the right-hand side (with
> left-justification) is still theonly sensible way to go. This is of
> course quite easy in Word etc and my usual evangelical discussions of
> TeX went very quiet when I tried to work out how to do this.
>
> 2) similarly- I was told that I should have something like this
>
> DATE (tab/gap) post details.
>
> Where post details overruns a line, it should also be aligned with the
> previous line (not slide under the date to the beginning of the line). I
> was just putting date in bold, then \indent but of course this does not
> align the paragraph with foregoing text. Judicious use of \indent nearly
> solved this except where I had this
>
> 2006-7 blah blah
> 2005 blah
>

> Where the date is different in length, it's impossible to align the
> various blahs.
>
> I have tried using tabular (but then the entries are not
> wrapped/typeset, they just run off the page) and tabbing (similar) but
> neither can do what I need.
>
> If this is too obscure I can post a jpeg or similar to a webpage to
> illustrate what mean. It's no good recreating in an email since line
> wrapping and font sizes will mess it up:-)
>

> If there is some environment that will sort this out relatively easily,
> do please shout. Please also honestly say 'you are so inexpert,
> apparently, that you should probably go back to Word for this' (I'm
> happy writing books in LaTeX but this fine-tuned layout is beyond me,
> and my reading of the various manuals).
>

> many thanks for your consideration...!

____________________________________
Dr P. Vickers BSc PhD CEng MIEE ILTM
Reader in Human-Computer Interaction

School of Computing, Engineering, & Information Sciences
Northumbria University
Pandon Building, Camden Street
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
NE2 1XE

Tel +44 (0)191 243-7614
Fax +44 (0)870 133-9127
e-mail: paul.vickers at northumbria.ac.uk
web: www.paulvickers.com/northumbria

Northumbria University.

====

This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private
and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee,
please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please
that all electronic mail from, to, or within Northumbria University may
be the subject of a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000
and related legislation, and therefore may be required to be disclosed
to third parties.

This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to
leaving Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be
liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.