[OS X TeX] organizing bibtex directory

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 9 17:40:46 CET 2006

On 9-nov-2006, at 11:03, Alex Hamann wrote:

> I was wondering what the best way to configure the bibtex directory
> was. I guess it is also a matter of personal taste, however I would
> appreciate some hints what might be advantages or disadvantages of
> specific configurations (especially regarding updating these files
> later). Does it make more sense to keep all files of a given
> package together in a directory (e.g. ~texmf/bibtex/natbib) or
> should I separate the files according to their suffix (e.g.
> all .bst files together in one directory)? Am I correct in assuming
> that the only files I have to keep after running latex on the .dtx
> and/or .ins file are the .cfg, .bst, .sty (and whatever kind of
> readme or documentation comes with it)?
> Help much appreciated,

the texmf directory in your Library has fairly strict rules, so it
isn't a matter of choice. '...' indicates "that directory or any sub-
directory thereof".

bst -> texmf/bibtex/bst...
bib -> texmf/bibtex/bib...
sty -> texmf/tex/latex...
cfg probably in texmf/tex/latex... as well
documentation -> texmf/doc/latex...

HTMH,

Maarten